The solution to the sustainability challenge lies with the skills of the local workforce, which must be strengthened to deal with the monumental increase in decentralised electrification needs in the years to come. A recent survey with decentralised renewable energy (DRE) industry players indicated that more than 70% of companies have difficulties in finding skilled local field staff.
With this in mind, the Cornerstone of Rural Electrification Initiative, CORE, was launched jointly by the Alliance for Rural Electrification (ARE) and the International Copper Association (ICA), in partnership with the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), Sustainable Energy for ALL (SEforALL), the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), and the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) to address the immense capacity building and technical assistance needs to support the development of DRE systems as a means to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
Mission: CORE enables resilient rural and peri-urban communities by ensuring safety, efficiency, reliability, and sustainability become the cornerstone of decentralised electrification
Vision: As the world moves towards universal access by 2030, CORE supports and improves the livelihood of rural communities by ensuring all decentralised electrification projects meet the highest standards of sustainability
CORE offers technical assistance to:
- Practitioners (including design engineers, technicians, installers and operators) on aspects related to improving safety, efficiency and reliability of decentralised electrification projects
- Communities (especially women) on productive use of electricity
- Governments on enhancing the policy and regulatory framework in support of decentralised electrification
CORE offers its technical assistance through:
- Cooperation with ongoing or planned projects focused on decentralised rural electrification
- Tailored assistance based on requests
- Resource library with a collection of decentralised renewable energy (DRE) training materials and guidelines
Alignment with UN SDGs
I am a firm believer that like-minded organisations working together can accomplish much more than individual companies going at it alone. CORE brings together the preeminent organisations in the energy access and energy efficiency spaces. I am proud to serve as CORE’s first Chair.Steven L. Kukoda
Steven L. Kukoda